Finding and meeting the proper lawyer can seem intimidating, specifically an agent who has never hired an automobile attorney.
Steps to Choose the Right Lawyer For Your Michigan Car Accident
So how would you go about finding the right car crash attorney to address your case? I recommend you do the following:
- Begin by speaking with family, friends and co-workers to ascertain if anyone they understand was involved in a vehicle accident lawsuit. Ask them regarding experience if they will recommend their auto attorney.
- Search the Internet for local attorneys who specialize in auto accidents. Review their Web sites for professional advice along with a solid reputation with cases. Beware of advertising materials and Web sites that includes self-proclaimed endorsements, like ‘the best, the top, leading,’ that can’t be supported by fact or verified by recognized others.
- Avoid the Yellow Pages: The best car accident attorneys need not advertise heavily, they earn clients from positive word of mouth marketing or using their company lawyer referrals.
- Once you have identified a number of potential auto attorneys, do your homework before contacting their offices:
- Seek third-party verification with the law firm and the lawyer’s reputation by checking legal publications, like Michigan Lawyers Weekly, for just about any negative or positive publicity about the lawyer or cases she has handled.
- Contact the State Bar of Michigan and Martindale-Hubbell, or visit those Web sites to learn whether or not the lawyer is in good standing. Martindale-Hubbell’s AV Rating may be the highest for legal ability and ethics, though hardly any Michigan lawyers and attorneys are already given this top rating.
- The vechicle accident attorney should be actively associated with Michigan legal organizations such as the Michigan Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice along with the State Bar of Michigan; not merely as members but as leaders informed about the newest developments in Michigan no-fault insurance and auto negligence injury laws.
Once you’ve got verified the quality of an automobile attorney, call to create a basic consultation. Some firms will charge a consultation fee in order to meet with you, but most Michigan car accident attorneys offer free consultations to improve inform prospects, with no fee or obligation. Because car crash cases are incredibly time-sensitive, you should expect the attorney to quickly respond to a phone or Internet request immediately.
The first meeting is essential in deciding whether an automobile accident attorney or law firm is the right fit for you.
Here are some ideas of things to ask during the consultation that can help evaluate whether a specific lawyer may be the best fit on your case:
1. How easy might it be to get in touch with you? 2. What client references do you’ve got that may reply to your skills and trustworthiness? 3. How many cases like mine perhaps you have handled within the last year?4. Who else in the office is going to be taking care of my case?5. How is payment for services handled? Are there any fees I will need to pay up front within my case or towards the end? 6. If my case is lost no compensation is awarded, will I still owe you something for your time and effort? (Generally speaking, auto attorneys charge for his or her services over a contingency fee basis, the location where the client pays the attorney 33 percent of the items the attorney collects in a very settlement or if the situation would go to trial.)
After the consultation ends, contemplate the next questions:
1. Did the vechicle accident attorney listen well?2. Did the attorney explain legal topics in my opinion in terms I was able to understand?3. Did the automobile attorney appear very proficient in Michigan no-fault law and how legislation pertains to my specific case? Did he have to “research it” and get back to me?4. Did the car attorney apparently understand my medical injuries and give to relate me to the best health care bills?
Ultimately, you wish to select the car accident lawyer which you believe will do the best job for you. Even if you choose not to hire an attorney or file case, there is absolutely no harm when you get initial tips on actions you can take to immediately protect yourself following a serious injury from the Michigan car crash.